Tech stuff

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Samsung S1050B

I thought I'd comment on this digital camera.

I saw it on sale at Dick Smith Electronics (DSE), for the very cheap price of AUD $248
After reading up on the specifications, and also having a quick chat at DP Review, I thought I would try it out (The brilliant thing about buying from Dick Smith is the 14day money back guarantee).

Anyway, this camera is very impressive on paper. The specifications state 10Megapixels, and it records MPEG at 800 x 600 at 20fps. This is better than most other compact digicams.

Actually, I should mention the reason I was looking at this camera in the first place. I purchased a Canon Powershot G7 back in June 2007, when I was on a business trip in Tokyo. The price was good - in fact, much better than any price I could get back in Sydney, Australia. Unfortunately, ours is now broken (the lens will not retract - Google says E18 error!). I am quite sure that is most probably due to Exceptionally POOR design, manufacturing process, and/or quality control on Canon's behalf. They must know it, since my camera is only covered by a domestic Japanese warranty. A quick call to Canon Australia's service centre, and they reckon it would be AUD $450 to replace the lens (the comment from a service guy says "the error involves the lens, therefore we must replace it!").

Anyway, I am ranting and raving.... Getting back to the Samsung S1050B - just don't think its going to be anywhere near as good as the Canon, because it is not. I took it back to DSE, where they happily refunded me. I think I'll either look at getting a Canon Powershot G9 (the replacement model for the G7 - funny that it didn't stay on the market for very long before being replaced!!!!!), or look at something else.

No comments: