Tech stuff

Thursday, October 02, 2008

TomTom XL GPS

TomTom released a new version (v4?) of their XL GPS.
This is a 4.3" widescreen GPS unit, basically just a stretched version of the TomTom One GPS unit. For people with "fat fingers" like me :) this is a good thing!

I bought this unit as I was sick and tired of the typical in-car arguments that arise from late or unclear directions. This little unit is also good for advising you what the expected speed limit is for where you are driving (note: it is not always correct).

We took this unit up for a drive into the countryside, and it worked brilliantly. One weekend of driving, and not one argument. I would thoroughly recommend getting one of these if you experience any sort of heated discussions during street directory direction giving/taking. This unit will tell you when to turn, AND before hand (like in 200 metres). The best thing about this version 4 unit is the TTS feature (Text To Speech). It will read out the street names for you.

The unit is nice and thin, and the suction cup thingamyjig is nice and sleek. It mounts ok to the windscreen - although in our case, my wife was holding it so she could see it. I tried it out in my dads car, and I stuck it ot the front passenger window, which worked fine too.

All up, I reckon its a great buy - saves a ton of aggravation :)
If you don't have one, get one!

No comments: