Tech stuff

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Desktop life expectancy?

So my desktop is starting to flicker and play silly buggers (small freezes, etc).

I suspect it may have been because the weather has been so warm recently, but who knows. The fans inside the case dont really want to spin, so they're not doing the job of drawing out hot air either.

I caved in last night, and opened up the computer, blew out loads and loads of dust, and then proceeded to remove the graphics card (7900GT) and CPU (E6600). I was lucky to have a tube of Arctic Silver and the cleasing stuff (Bottle 1 and Bottle 2, whatever they're called). Grabbed a couple of old rags, cut them up, and proceeded to unscrew, clean and redo the thermal paste.

Admitted today is a lot cooler than yesterday, so I am not seeing any(many?) artifacts at all.
I guess I will just have to wait and see how things turn out...

No comments: